Have you ever found yourself asking Jesus any of the following questions? As Christ followers, chances are you have.
But don’t worry. He has heard them all before and He doesn’t mind hearing them again and again.
Here is a prayerful, heartfelt letter I recently wrote to my Lord and Savior:
What do I do when:
- I’m so physically worn out that I don’t want to get out of bed each day?
- On Sunday morning, I don’t feel like getting up and going to church?
- My child says she’s depressed and says she wants to speak to a psychologist?
- My taxes are prepared, and it is discovered that I owe the IRS more than $7,000?
- I feel like I’m drifting away from my wife and there is very little intimacy in our marriage?
- I see a woman who isn’t my wife and lust wells up in my heart?
- A movie that I know isn’t pleasing to God comes on TV and I convince myself I REALLY want to watch it?
- My flesh wants to lash out in anger at my wife or my children?
- There is an opportunity to serve You and others, but there is a football game on that I “simply can’t miss”?
- I simply don’t feel like worshipping You?
- I want something right now instead of waiting for your timing?
- You are prompting me to tell someone about you, but fear sets in?
- I go to the bank to draw money from my account and I’m given $20 more than what I’m supposed to get?
- I see something expensive at the store and I REALLY want to buy it, but I know we can’t afford it and my wife would be upset if I did?
- I get angry at other drivers on the road?
- Someone upsets me, and my children are watching?
- It feels like You are a million miles away?
- The conversation turns to politics and I know it’s headed for a bad ending?
- I’m afraid to fail?
- I can’t find a job and am afraid I will never find one again?
- My wife and I can’t conceive a child and our hearts really desire one?
- I feel so lonely and there is nobody to talk to?
- I want to tithe, but I’m afraid I won’t be able to eat and pay my bills?
- I feel like I’m never going to have peace and joy in my life?
- I feel like I’m so far gone that even You can’t save me?
Do any of these questions resonate with you? If so, you are not alone, and I have some wonderful news for you.
Jesus wants to strengthen your heart and resolve by leaning on Him. He wants to help you grow and mature in Him to be as Christlike as we can be through any of life’s storms.
Here are some gems from God’s Word to help you through some of the above situations:
- “Moses said this to the entire Israelite nation before his death, ‘Be strong and of a good courage. Fear not, nor be afraid of them, for the Lord you God, it is He who goes with you. He will not fail you, nor forsake you'” (Deut. 31:6, MEV).
- “Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths” (Prov. 3:5, MEV).
- “Therefore, submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you” (James 4:8, MEV).
- “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you” (James 4:8).
- “Let us firmly hold the profession of our faith without wavering, for He who promised is faithful” (Heb. 10:23, MEV).
Those are only five of more than 7,000 promises in the Bible, the infallible Word of God. And He keeps every one of them. Isn’t that reassuring?
And as I always like to say, “there is that.”
Shawn A. Akers is the online managing editor at Charisma Media. He is a published poet and published a story about Dale Earnhardt in NASCAR Chicken Soup for the Soul. You can read his blog here. To sign up for his newsletter, “Step Out of the Boat,” and other Charisma newsletters, click here. You can also listen to his podcasts, the Javelin Sports Show, on the Charisma Podcast Network.